THIS IS THE TOWN: A TRIBUTE TO NILSSON (Vol. 1) is available now in stores and online
…on limited edition Yellow Vinyl, CD and Digital formats!
This Is The Town: A Tribute to Nilsson (Volume One), is a 20-track collection that celebrates the artistry and songs of the legendary singer-songwriter Harry Nilsson. Produced by Kenny Siegal and recorded over the course of 2013 at Old Soul Studios in Catskill, NY, the album features a diverse gathering of young artists performing songs that span the breadth of Nilsson’s repertoire, including “Early In The Morning” by Langhorne Slim, “Jump Into The Fire” by Low Cut Connie, “Are You Sleeping” by Marco Benevento, “Rainmaker” by Yellowbirds, “Think About Your Troubles” by Willy Mason and “Everybody’s Talkin'” by Tracy Bonham. Harry’s daughter Annie Nilsson contributes a rendition of “Gotta Get Up,” along with the original illustrations that serve as the album’s artwork.
“Each artist has taken a Nilsson song that meant something to them, and with passion and inspiration, transformed it into something that is both a fitting tribute, and entirely their own,” Kenny Siegal explains. “In doing so, they are helping Harry Nilsson to be remembered as his songs live again through these new creative interpretations.”
Harry Nilsson’s son Zak Nilsson has endorsed This Is The Town, stating: “There is a huge breadth of talent here. So many of these songs grabbed me from the first phrase, like it kicks in and I’m just sitting here thinking, ‘oh wow.’ Some of them are just absolutely perfect. They are covers of Harry’s songs, but they have a lot of those sort of signature Nilsson twists in them. The kind of versions only real fans of Harry’s music could put together.”
Conceived by Kenny Siegal as a two volume set, he is already at work recording the second edition to the tribute.
The complete track listing is:
1. Langhorne Slim – Early In The Morning
2. Dawn Landes – You’re Breakin’ My Heart
3. Low Cut Connie – Jump Into The Fire
4. Jenny O – 1941
5. The Mommyheads – Me and My Arrow
6. Annie Nilsson – Gotta Get Up
7. Blueberry – Poli High
8. Willy Mason – Think About Your Troubles
9. Yellowbirds – Rainmaker (Nilsson /Martin)
10. Johanna Warren – Without Her
11. The Wiyos – Nobody Cares About The Railroads Anymore
12. Rasputina – Sweethaven
13. Church of Betty – Without You
14. Marco Benevento – Are You Sleeping?
15. Tracy Bonham – Everybody’s Talkin’ (Fred Neil)
16. Stellacutta – Everything’s Got ‘Em
17. Brian Dewan – Coconut
18. Johnny Society – Mr. Richland’s Favorite Song
19. Mamie Minch – Don’t Forget Me
20. Josh Kaufman – I Said Goodbye to Me